Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Good Sniff

Tonight the hubby came home from work and asked if he could go pick up Mexican from our favorite local restaurant. Ahhh, music to a stay-at-home mom's ears. After he left to go pick dinner up, Emerson and I went outside to play for a little while and Jax slept in his papasan chair on the counter. She immediately asked for bubbles, so I blew and blew while the wind quickly picked the bubbles up & carried them over the fence to our neighbors' back yard. It was funny to watch her chase them, only to see them popped by a blade of grass or the air or a pine needle from the trees. Sometimes Boomer will chase the low-flying ones, but today he was much more interested in following his little trail behind the pine trees, sniffing for creatures on the other side of the fence. Did I mention we almost sent him to live with the grandparents? They did a trial run for a week, but he ended up back at our house. Go figure... those of you who know him can understand. Anyway, back to playtime. After bubbles, Emerson was just wandering around exploring... the hubby would call it 'fartknocking'.... and I sat on the back bench admiring my newly planted pots full of vinca, asparagus fern, geraniums, some new annual I can't remember the name of that a saleswoman at Southwoods talked me into, and my usual Boston fern & hanging basket of pink million bells. Today was unusually windy, so I just sat, closed my eyes, and smelled the wind. I immediately though, 'Gee, how long has it been since I just sat & smelled the air outside?' There's something that happens to you when you intentionally stop the busy-ness of your day, sit on a bench outside, and sniff. Most of my inside smells are food, diapers, new baby smell (quite possibly the most intoxicating, lovely smell known to man), and a perpetually stuffy master bedroom. I really need to open the windows in there more often. It's always so dark & cooped up. I think my husband would live in a cave if I would let him. What is it with men & darkness? I don't get it. Anyway, I'm rambling, so I'm now going to upload the pictures from my camera onto my online album. I'm having a really hard time keeping up with all of the pictures & video this time around! Boy was it easy just having one! Happy sniffing...

No comments:

Post a Comment