Saturday, September 5, 2009

Car Talk, Episode 2

One day last week we drove through Chick-fil-A, and I ordered a kids' meal for Emerson (sub fruit cup for the fries for those of you who were wondering... yes, we're those parents who try to have their kids eat as healthy as possible for as long as possible. I know, I know... call us crazy). Unfortunately, a kids' meal comes with a drink, so I decided to take one for the team and go ahead and order a lemonade with that kids' meal and drink it myself. Desipite my best efforts to say 'lemonade' as quietly as possible to the energetic and uber-polite teenager on the other side of the menu board microphone (don't you love how they always say 'my pleasure' every time you say 'thank you' at Chick-fil-A? Makes me feel all warm & fuzzy inside), Emerson heard me utter that magical word. So, she immediately says, "Lemonade, peas! (please)" I reply, "No, ma'am, lemonade is mommy's drink. You have fresh, cool water." Now, please understand that 'fresh, cool water' is actually Emerson's term of endearment for her water. Not kidding. If she's thirsty, she'll ask specifically for "fresh, cool water." It's so cute. So I think that this reply will be enough for her. She waits about 30 seconds, and this time she asks for "Water-Ade, peas!" I stifle a laugh and realize she's getting a little confused, the poor dear. I decide to just let this one go without a reply. We get back on the road, and I see in the rearview mirror that she's really thinking hard about something. The next thing from her mouth is, "Watermelon, peas!" From lemonade to water-ade to watermelon... the creation of a vocabulary is a fun thing to behold.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love your blogs about Emerson and the hilarious stuff she says!

    ReplyDelete