Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A different kind of Christmas

I'm REALLY getting excited for Christmas. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely one of my favorite holidays, and I've always looked forward to it, but there's something different going on with me this year. I remember last year being a little less than thrilled... I was 4 months pregnant, already having lots of back pain and looking like I was about 8 months along, chasing around a 15-month-old, dealing with extended family drama, and travelling to Nashville while my husband had to stay here. Not exactly my idea of a picture-perfect holiday.

This year it's a different story. I'm forced to get back to the basics of Christmas traditions as I teach them to Emerson. She's completely enthralled with her Little People nativity set, and I've tried to come up with 30-second renditions of the Christmas Story.... not completely successfully, but she's kind of getting it. And being in the car with her this time of year is an experience. We have to play Christmas CDs, and she's obsessed with Christmas lights. Even in broad daylight, she's asking, "Where's the yights, Mommy? YIGHTS!" That sparks another 30-second attempt at the difference between day & night, sun & moon.... it's those times that I need my husband's science geek brain.

My one complaint about this time of year? Christmas shopping. I've come to accept the fact that I HATE crowds & slow traffic. I'll never forget last year I was trying to find a parking spot at Macy's, and someone's reverse lights came on just as I was about to pass their spot. I quickly stopped and was going to back up so I could let them out & get their spot, but I realized the guy behind me wasn't about to budge. He wanted that spot. I actually opened my car door, leaned way out so he could see me, and I made the 'rocking baby' motion so he would know I had a baby with me & would understand that a close parking spot would be fabulous for me. You wanna know what he did? With his wife & two teenage kids in the car, he literally mouthed the words "I don't care" to me. I was stunned. There's nothing like a parking lot to bring out the worst in people.

Anyway, bad mall experiences aside, I'm counting on this to be one of the best Christmases ever! We're going to the Christmas Train in Dry Gulch on Friday night with Uncle Travis... I'll post pics, I'm sure. Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment