Sunday, December 20, 2009

My FANTASTIC Saturday

On Saturday my dear friend Lisa and I had our traditional Christmas brunch at Wild Fork & pedicures at Marilyn Ihloff. I look forward to it so much every year... last year we broke tradition and went to Branson for the weekend (which I highly recommend the weekend before Christmas... NO ONE was there and the shopping was amazing). We both had the buttermilk pancakes (mine with blueberry) and shared a side of bacon. Have I ever mentioned I have a true love for bacon? I don't let myself cook it very often, but when I do, I'm in heaven.

Anyway, over brunch Lisa decides to ROCK MY WORLD and tell me she's definitely moving to Houston in the spring for her job. I've known for a long time that it was a real possibility, but the fact that it's going to happen just hit me like a ton of bricks. I immediately started getting all verklempt, and she was telling me to stop it, and I was trying to hold it together in a nice, quiet brunch atmosphere. I called her a few expletives (all in jest, of course), and we had a good laugh. She reminded me that because her family lives here, she'll be coming back to town all the time, and we decided we can watch fun shows like the Bachelor via Skype. That would be hilarious. I'm trying to picture us attempting to time our fast-forwarding so we're watching the same segment at the same time. Those of you who have been to my house & watched TV know I'm not the best with the remote. I'm a little trigger-happy.

Okay, so you're probably wondering why I titled this post as fantastic when I just described learning that one of my best friends in the whole world is moving. Well, any time I can spend with Lisa is fantastic, despite any kind of earth-shattering news. It was just a good morning full of good food, good company, and good pedicures.

NOW, on to the next segment of my day. I left Utica and drove to my brother-in-law Travis's house. He had told me to stop by because he had a project he needed help with. I thought he was needing me to help him with a Christmas present for Jason or something. Well, when I arrived, he told me we were driving somewhere and that I was getting an early Christmas present. Exciting!!! I don't think I've ever experienced an early Christmas present, and let me tell you, the anticipation was killing me.

We drove a couple of miles to a strip shopping center, and I parked. We walked by a few different stores... a pizza place (no, that can't be it), Southern Agriculture (a present for my dog??), a cell phone store (but it wasn't my carrier). Finally, we walked into Steve's Sundry, a long-time Tulsa bookstore. I'd never been in there before and was curious as to why I was in there today.

A man greeted us and asked if we were there for the book signing. Travis said yes. I looked at him like, 'What???' I don't have time to read. Does he think I'm a reader? Then he asked if we had a copy of the book. Travis said no, that we needed to buy one. So we walk up to the counter, and he purchases "The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl." Then it hits me.... Pioneer Woman, my favorite blogger of all time, is here in the store, and I get to have her sign her new cookbook!!! Those of you who are PW fans can understand my complete and utter disbelief. She has the most fantastic site, and I really have enjoyed making her recipes that she has online.

Long story short, we waited for a little while in line, and then I finally got to meet her. She's this tall, thin, gorgeous woman with a beautiful smile and really great hair. I, of course, have just been at brunch where I nearly cried all of my mascara off my face, and I have some serious sinus pressure to boot. So, mind you, I sound like a toad and look like a puffy marshmallow face. She, of course, didn't seem to notice, and we chit chatted about how much I'm looking forward to making her chocolate sheet cake, and she replied that I really ought to because it will change my life forever. I'm sure it will.

Here's a picture of gorgeous Pioneer Woman with Becca, the sinus-y balloon face whose eyes look like she's been in an ultimate fighting match. :)






So thank you, Lisa, for a wonderful Christmas tradition that I cherish and look forward to every year. And thank you, Travis, for being one of the best gift-givers I've ever known. You rock.


Pictures of the Christmas Train adventure coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment