Monday, March 8, 2010

Lights out

Tonight we lost power for about two hours. Mind you, we had nothing more than rain coming from the sky, but out it went. This happened right around 6:30... I had champagne chicken sauteing on the stove and Emerson was playing with Jax in the living room. It immediately got chaotic for me. Boomer took Emerson's stuffed Elmo under the bed (the devil dog knew he had the cover of darkness by which to run his covert op), she started crying, then Jax started crying when I left the room to retrieve Elmo. I put Boomer in his kennel, saved Elmo from a certain death, and came back in to comfort the babes. The next 30 minutes I spent lighting every candle we own and strategically placing them out of Emerson's reach. She thought they were the most beautiful things she had ever seen! She even said I was a beautiful princess! I called Daddy and asked him if he could come home early, and he obliged, much to my delight. Since the champagne chicken hadn't cooked long enough, I treated him to bologna sandwiches. He's one lucky man, I tell ya!

I'm glad the power is back on now, but I have to say it was a nice little break from normalcy tonight. Feeding the kids by candlelight was precious... Jax's little cherub cheeks and Emerson's bright eyes took on such a magical glow. Building with Legos in an almost-dark living room proved to be no big thing for Emerson - her tower was taller than ever. And watching out the front door for Daddy's headlights reminded me just how much I love and cherish that man and need him to rescue me on occasion.

2 comments:

  1. finding the bright moments in the dark...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our power went out about 6 months ago... of course the kids were in the bathtub and I had to walk through the pitch dark house to find a candle... the jace knocked on the sliding door b/c he couldn't get in the house. Scared the snot out of me! But the kids loved story time by candlelight! champagne chicken? can I get that recipe?

    ReplyDelete