Friday, November 12, 2010

Rain & Rocks

It's been raining most of the day today.  And I've been very happy.  I don't know that I can explain it adequately, but there's something about a steady rain that makes me joyous.  Today I cleaned up the house quickly as soon as I woke up (only because an agent from the property leasing company we are going to use to find renters for this house was on his way over), so the rest of the day I enjoyed a picked-up, cozy house.  That combined with a rainy day is just about as perfect a setting as I can imagine.  Emerson was also at preschool, so the noise level was reduced significantly.  Just Jax and Mommy at home, watching the rain fall outside. 

On the way home from picking Em up from preschool, I found myself looking for ditches on the side of the road.  Why, you ask?  Well, when I was a little girl, one of my favorite things to do on a rainy day was put my rain gear on, have my sister do the same, and we would walk down the dirt road by our house.  Along the way we would carefully watch the ditches and clear away any large rocks that were impeding the flow of the water.  Looking back on it, I think it was all my strange idea and she just went along with it.  There was something cleansing and right to me about moving the rocks to make a better path.  I think I was as natural-born cleaner even back then.  I'm sure there's something much deeper and spiritually representative I should be taking from this memory, but to me on the drive home, I just enjoyed remembering the rainy days from my childhood and moving the rocks with my sister. 

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I remember doing this too! I absolutely loved our adventures in the rain.
    As I think about it, throughout childhood I pretty much did whatever you told me to do...! (including the "rotten pea" sniffs that I fell for every time! ha ha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha!!! Just yesterday Jason did his brutish impression of me as a child, and I told him I'd give anything for you to be there almost peeing your pants. Because it really does paint such an accurate picture. :)

    ReplyDelete