Sunday, March 22, 2009

Be Thou my Vision...

I had one of those moments this morning in church... you know, the moment a song pops onto the screen and you know you're going to have a hard time getting through it. Occasionally our worship team will throw in a hymn, and immediately my throat clenches up and I brace myself for the tears that undoubtedly will flow. For me, a hymn represents such simplistic faith, the kind of stripped-down faith that really brings me back to the heart of worship... a hymn reminds me of my Mammo (mom's mom) who passed away a few years back and always hummed the hymns while she went about her day... a hymn, to me, is a much-needed refreshing rain for those parts of my soul that are dry and thirsty and haven't seen the light in a while.

So this morning, as Cody started singing "Be Thou my Vision," I let the tears just fall and was comforted by all of those things a hymn represents to me. I'm just thankful our church doesn't sing only hymns... I wouldn't have had ANY mascara left. :)


Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment