Literally as I was posting my last blog at my in-laws' house on Monday night, I was starting to experience some contractions. I didn't blog about it because I figured that would jinx my mojo just in case I truly was going into labor. At about 10:45, my contractions were 6 minutes apart while sitting and 2-4 minutes apart while standing or walking around. I wanted to wait a while longer before heading to the hospital, but by then the sleet was coming down pretty hard and Jason wanted to head that way. We got to the hospital, they checked me, and I was only dilated to a 3. I suddenly panicked that they were going to send us home, but the nurse said if I progressed for the next hour, they would go ahead and admit me. An hour later, I was at a 5, and I was officially admitted and allowed to walk. For the next 45 minutes, Jason and I walked the halls of the labor and delivery wing, me in my hospital gown and him carrying the full-size birthing ball. Sitting down rather than standing up during contractions was the best way for me to manage the pain, so with each contraction he would put the ball on the floor, and I would sit and get through it with my breathing, focusing, and vocal techniques. I really did feel like a pro this time around, like I was truly in the zone.
During the next check, I was at a 7, and the nurse called my midwife Kim. Let me just say that I love, love, love my midwife, but never so much as that night. She was not on call, but she got out of bed at 2 a.m. in the miserable weather with the forecasters advising against even getting on the roads. She said she didn't want to miss delivering our third baby. She's the bomb. Anyway, I progressed to a 9 in no time, and she asked if I wanted her to break my water. I said yes, she did, and as she was walking out the door to go to the nurse's station, the urge to push hit me so hard, I started freaking out. I yelled, "I need to push NOW!" She and the nurses came running in with their tables and delivery garb, and I could see the suppressed panic in their faces. At that point Hayden was crowning, and with the first push, her head came out, and the next push got the rest of her out. It all happened to stinkin' fast, I was totally in shock. I looked over at Jason and said, "Oh my gosh, I can't believe she's here! And I can't believe I never have to go through that again." The relief I felt at that moment was overwhelming, and her warm little body on my chest and Daddy's sweet kisses on my forehead were as close to perfect as anything I've ever experienced. I was just trying to savor every single second as I was keenly aware that I was going through it all for the last time. It was truly amazing.
So since that moment (3:56 a.m. on February 1st, to be exact), we've been at the hospital, just the three of us in our little room. I missed having visitors and, as Daddy would say, 'gettin' my sanguine on,' but it was also nice just to be cozy with my husband and my daughter. The hospital was a ghost town with a large majority of the staff forced to stay there because of the roads. There was no room service available and we couldn't leave to go get food, so we ate cafeteria sandwiches and vending machine food like it was going out of style. Taking Hayden out in her little push cart and walking the halls became something to look forward to. At one point, I went downstairs by myself and walked outside just to feel the air and see the snow, and when I turned around, the front doors wouldn't open. It was so cold, I thought I was going to freeze to death in a matter of seconds and pried the doors open with my hands. It was scary!
We made our way back to the in-laws' house a couple of hours ago, and Emerson and Jax have been so sweet with their little sister. If Hayden has been kissed once, she's been kissed 29 times. Jax has no concept of being gentle, so we have to watch him like a hawk so he doesn't poke her in the eye or lay on her. Emerson is fascinated with her little fingers and toes and has already held her. When she was going potty before taking her nap, she played through the whole scenario of what it's going to be like to show her off to her preschool friends for the first time. So cute.
I can't believe I have three children! Ahhh!!! What a fun ride this is going to be. I'm so thankful that Jason's dad called and invited us to stay with them, I'm thankful that we didn't have to deal with the snow coming down on the way to the hospital, I'm thankful that Hayden is healthy (8 lbs, 3 ozs, 19.25 inches long), I'm thankful that I had the best labor coach to get me through it and that he still loves me despite seeing ALL OF THAT, and I'm thankful for getting to be a mommy to a beautiful litttle girl, the final piece of our newly completed family.
Here are pictures of our last few days!
Thrilled to finally be dilated to a 7!
She's here!
Daddy's proud of his newest girl.
Hayden sandwich
A few hours old.
Daddy's lavish sleeping quarters!
Pretty in pink
Getting to know her mommy
She looks just like Jax to me in this picture. Also a little like Mike Ditka.
And this picture looks identical to Emerson's birth announcement picture. So I think the verdict is still out on whom she looks most like.
The little Snow Bunny is ready to get in the car!
They couldn't stop smiling today!
Hayden and Pa-Pa Van Valkenburg
Sister kisses
One of his few 'gentle' times.
Oh Bec...I'm just in love with her already! And more in love with her bubby and sissy for being so adorable in these pictures! I'm sad I'm not there, but looking forward to our first skype in the new world of no future babies! (does that even make sense??)
ReplyDeleteLove you so much...give kisses all around, and we'll see you soon!
So happy for you guys! What a doll baby, and what a great birth story she has! Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to you! What a blessing to complete your family.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations dear friend! Such a sweet face. Love the pics of Jax and Em looking at her. It's amazing isn't it! Love y'all!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! Congrats on being a mama of 3! Loved hearing your birth story and knowing that you're all safe and warm!
ReplyDeleteSooo excited to see more pictures of beautiful little Hayden and the rest of the sweet fam. What a great story to tell Hayden when she gets older.
ReplyDeleteI am extremely proud of you! Love you sis!
She is so adorable! I love all the pictures, especially of big brother and sister seeing her. What a great birth story! Congrats to you all!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! I'm glad it all went smoothly despite the weather and you have a precious, healthy little girl. What a story you'll have to tell her!
ReplyDeleteAs soon as the storm started coming I had a feeling your baby girl would too. (: Congratulations!!!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!! What a beautiful baby!
ReplyDeleteThank you, thank you to all of you for your sweet posts! We're enjoying our little girl so much.. I'm just trying not to get stir-crazy with this ridiculous snow.
ReplyDelete