Friday, April 22, 2011

Recipes & My Big Head

Jason forwarded me the P90X nutrition guide a while back, and I found some recipes that looked amazing.  I made this pork tenderloin recipe this week, and it was a hit with everyone.  Jason was really impressed, and I think that says a lot, considering we're talking about pork tenderloin.  I just backed off the hot sauce a bit for the kids. 

Island Pork Tenderloin

  • 16 oz. lean pork tenderoin (I think I bought a loin filet that was 1.5 lbs or so and just increased the rest of the ingredients)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp chile powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1/4 C packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 T minced garlic
  • 1/2 T Tabasco sauce
Preheat oven to 350. Stir together salt, pepper, cumin, chile powder & cinnamon, then coat pork with the spice rub.  Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat & brown, turning, about 5 minutes.  Stir together brown sugar, garlic & hot sauce and pat onto top of tenderloin.  Place pork in a roasting pan and cook in the oven until a meat thermometer reads 155-160.  For a 1-lb tenderloin, they call for 20 minutes.  For the Hormel tenderloin I bought at Target that was a little larger, it took around 40 minutes.

I also made some easy sweet potato 'fries' one night this week.  I googled and found this recipe from an Oprah episode... I thought they were outstanding.  Jason was a little iffy on the Italian seasoning, but to me that's what made them so good.  Here's the link: http://www.oprah.com/food/Oven-Baked-Sweet-Potato-Fries

We were up until 1 a.m. doing payroll for the company last night, so needless to say, I'm wiped today.  Jason got up at 5:30 to do P90X.  Dedication, I tell you.  I consider it success when I make three trips up the stairs in a day.  He's gonna be all muscular and toned for Mexico, and I'm going to be doing everything I can to cover pretty much everything below my shoulders.  Plus slathering on a healthy dose of sunscreen.  I've been on the hunt for a wide-brimmed hat, but the cute ones I've found at Target are really tight on my head.  I have a big head for a girl, I guess.  I was lamenting to my friend Leslie this week, and she suggested I look in the men's department.  I laughed invisioning myself at Bass Pro trying on old mens' fishing hats because they're the only ones that fit me.  What I need is a glamorous, Hollywood-esque floppy hat made for large domes.  Do they make plus-size headwear?

Happy Easter this weekend!  The kids got to hunt eggs at preschool on Wednesday, and we'll probably let them do another hunt on Sunday, maybe at Uncle Trav's house.  We're even thinking about eating out so no one has to cook.  That's my kind of holiday!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has nothing to do w/your post, but I had to say that I LOVE your new pics!!!

    ReplyDelete