Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Emerson said...

At dinner last week, "Mommy, did you know I had a cat named Wilbur?"

"No, Emerson.  I didn't know that." (We have never had a cat, by the way).

"Yeah.  But he's sick.  He has poop in his froat."
_________________________________________________

A few mornings ago, I ran upstairs with Emerson to get her clothes for her first day of music camp. I was wearing just my unmentionables, and as I was leaning over to grab something off the floor, she said, "Mommy, your tummy is SOOO fluffy! You remember when you had the baby in your tummy and it was flat?"

To which I replied, "My tummy wasn't flat, it was very tight when Hayden was in there."

"Oh yeah. Well, Mommy? I like the way your tummy looks."
__________________________________________________

At lunch she said, "Mommy, there's not a hole in our hearts!  You know why?"

"Why?"

"Because God is blocking the hole." 


I've discovered the key to having great conversations with your kids is to sit and eat with them.  It sounds easy, but there are days when I scramble to get food on their plates while eating a sandwich in one hand and holding the baby in the other.  When I take the time to set the baby down, make my own lunch and eat it with them, I find I'm privy to all sorts of interesting topics.  It's great fun to listen to them interact with each other as well.  Emerson basically does everything she can do to force her opinion on her brother.  He usually obliges and complies, but I know there will come a day when he tells her exactly what he thinks of her opinion. 

1 comment:

  1. I would like for "Emerson Said" to become a weekly column on this blog. That girl cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete