Rebekah, thanks for the comment asking for links for recipes! I guess it's kind of pointless to tell others what you're making if you don't direct them to the place where they can find the recipe, too! Ha!
Click HERE for the recipe for the slow-cooker sloppy joes. I actually used the cooktop method listed at the bottom... they turned out great! Lots of leftovers, too, which is always a plus.
For the sweet potato fries, I peeled and cut four medium sweet potatoes into fry-like straws. I threw them in a bowl with olive oil, kosher salt, a little sugar, some pumpkin pie spice, and mixed to coat. I ended up doing two batches because they wouldn't all fit on one pan and I didn't want to crowd them, so the first batch I baked at 450 and the second batch at 500 (about 25-30 minutes). The second batch had a few burned spots, so I think 450 is perfect. Now don't make these and expect them to turn out as crispy as normal french fries. Based on my experience and also a lot of other recipes I've searched, sweet potatoes just don't crisp up as well as regular potatoes. Oh, and I almost forgot, I put them on a cooling rack sprayed with pan spray and then set that on a cookie sheet. I think it helped evenly cook, and I didn't have to turn them halfway through cooking.
Chicken, Green Bean & Wild Rice Casserole
(recipe from a friend, but I can't remember for the life of me who it was... mommy brain)
1 whole chicken, chopped into bite-size pieces (I boil mine for almost 2 hours, but you can always just buy a rotisserie)
1 chopped onion, sauteed in 1 T. butter
1 box Uncle Ben's wild rice, prepared according to pkg
1/2 lb. green beans, steamed
1/4 C. sliced almonds, toasted
1 C. mayo
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 C. shredded cheddar cheese
*Mix it all up in a large bowl, then bake in a 9x13 at 350 for 35-40 minutes. Not the healthiest casserole ever, but definitely a crowd pleaser! My kids love it, too.
For the roasted potatoes, I don't have an exact recipe I follow, but you can just cube regular or red potatoes, coat them in olive oil and sprinkle whatever herbs and seasonings you're in the mood for, throw on some kosher salt, and I think I usually do 475 for 30-ish minutes. You might want to turn them a time or two during baking. My sister-in-law Liz makes THE BEST roasted potatoes ever. Liz, if you're reading this, will you comment on how you do yours, pretty please?!
And I don't make desserts during the week, but these little puppies are just begging to be made this weekend for the OU game perhaps... HELLO
candy corn fudge.
Happy cooking, Rebekah and other friends!
Thanks Becca. I am honored =) For starters, I HIGHLY recommend using cast iron for any potatoes (even sweet). They get browned perfectly! I LOVE my cast iron! Also, use olive oil only as other oils make the potatoes stick!
ReplyDeleteMy basic recipe is the same as yours Becca, but here is one of my favorite recipes for red potatoes... however, be warned, it is not the healthiest of options.
2 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1-1 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 TB lemon juice
3 tablespoon Parmesan cheese (preferably shredded and then put through a chopper - sounds crazy, but tastes better than grated)
Directions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
In a small bowl combine melted butter, garlic, salt, lemon juice, and parmesan cheese. Pour over potatoes and stir to coat. Place potatoes in a cast iron pan and spread out evenly. You may have to use several unless you have a monster one like I do. But a baking sheet will do as well, just won't get quite as crispy and brown.
Bake, covered, in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown. I turn mine several times throughout.
Enjoy!
I am salivating right now. And I think I need to ask for a giant cast iron pan for Christmas. Mine is pretty small.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing! Love ya!