Monday, July 23, 2012

Cycling to smaller thighs

Okay, so my problem area = my thighs.  Pretty much always has been since I started putting on weight after we got married.  While I think I'm thankful that my thighs are my problem area versus the tummy area that most women struggle with (only because it's easy to camouflage thighs), they're still my nemeses.

Enter a cycle class at the gym.  I've done it three times now, and mercy is it hard!  One full hour... no breaks... approximately 700-800 calories burned... sweat pouring off every inch of me... and mental fortitude the likes of which I haven't had to summon since each of my three births.  And I'm not even kidding.

Last week's class was called ATI.  As in "anaerobic threshold intervals."  I wasn't exactly sure what that meant, but I have a clear understanding now.  There's probably a lot more technical and scientific way to say it, but basically the instructor took us to our near-passing-out-can't-believe-my-thighs-are-still-attached-to-my-body-HOLYCOW-I-think-they-are-literally-on-fire point over and over with just a little bit of recovery in between.

So the hope is this:

1) That my inner butt cheeks will cease being sore at some point.
2) That doing this class two times a week won't cause me to hate the mere thought of it.
3) That no one I know well will ever come to the class and witness my labor-like facial expressions.
4) That my thighs will start to slim down quickly and I won't feel like such a hoss in a pair of shorts.

On a side note, the husband and I switched things up on our date night on Friday.  In lieu of our normal quiet, intimate dinner at a nice restaurant, we went to a pub-type restaurant and then to the Boat & RV Show!  The small-town girl in me really likes these types of shows, and we had a lot of fun!  We joke all the time that one of these days we are going to buy a tricked-out RV when all three of our kids are in college and just drive it around to see them.  Don't you know they would be quasi-mortified?!  Hahaha.

4 comments:

  1. Told ya Spin was a KILLER! Speaking of - I totally need to hit a class this week. I've let almost 3 weeks go by since my last class...
    p.s. Greg & I will go in on the RV - we've always wanted to do that too! :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!! Oh spinning!!! I have a love-hate relationship with it! Need to get my butt back to a class. It's been way too long since I spun but it's always my go-to class at the gym....gets me in shape real quick. I love a good sweat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear some spin sympathy from you girls! It's just so HARD!

    Erica, you and Russ need to join Lifetime! We could spin/sweat together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Katie, I vote for parking our shared RV between our houses. The covenants should allow for that, right? Haha!

    ReplyDelete