Monday, August 26, 2013

Back to School

I am soooo late getting this posted. Last week was a whirlwind! But a fun whirlwind! I sent my oldest to kindergarten and my baby to preschool for the first time. And I would like to point out that there were zero tears shed by anyone in the family. I think we were all ready for the new year to begin.

Here we are at preschool open house.




Jax has one of Emerson's teachers from last year who we adore, and Hayden's teachers are both mamas of kiddos who have been classmates before. So we are thrilled for this year!!

First day of preschool for the littles:



Hayden's class was full of crying kiddos, so I was a little nervous that she was gonna freak out, but she walked right in like she owned the place. Jax saw all of his buddies from last year and decided he was a little too cool for mom. He deflected my kiss and instead gave me a kiss on the shoulder! What?!?! It was like he turned into a 14-yr-old right before my eyes. 

Emerson's transition was so easy. Her first day was meet-the-teacher, and we were in and out in 30 minutes. Her next two days were half days, so she was well acclimated by the time her first full day rolled around.



I love the two ninjas in the window in this picture. The boy ninja is even wielding a sword.


This is right before she got out of the car in the drop-off line. Can you see her excitement? And do you know what she said to me when she got out? "Bye, Mommy! Or should I say Mom?" Then she walked right down the sidewalk with the helper and right through the door, never looking back. The girl was ready.


Her backpack is Pottery Barn (shipped from a store in Oregon...I had to jump through quite a few hoops to land this one and Hayden's...this style was no longer available online). I had them monogrammed by my friend Terra (tickledsewpink.com).




I am so proud of my big girl. Starting school, ready to take on the world, making new friends each day. I love hearing about her day in the car on the short drive home. She's almost breathless as she attempts to remember every detail.

And then my heart goes back to this. My toddler, my firstborn, my strong-willed and fierce leader. Part of me wishes I could go back and snuggle this little girl a little longer and keep her this age a little longer.


But the other part of me sees the joy my big girl gets from stepping out into this new world while learning, creating, and growing. And for that I am thankful and grateful.

2 comments:

  1. I got a little teary-eyed on this one. Our kiddos are growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it! Doesn't it seem like just yesterday Parker was born? Time is flying and there's nothing we can do about it. :(

    ReplyDelete