Monday, November 9, 2009

Sub-Par Mothering

This afternoon I left Emerson sitting on the couch and took Jax into his room to change his poopy diaper. I was in there for about 2 minutes when she came running in with a look on her face mixed with surprise & pain. She wasn't crying, but she was definitely hurting. She said, "Too HOT, Mommy!" I asked her what was too hot. She said, "Jesus make it better... carpet make it better." Then she put her right thumb on the carpet and dragged it around. I went over to her and looked at her thumb. It had two little burn bubbles on it, and instantly I remembered I had a pot of eggs I was hard-boiling on the stove. A pot on the FRONT LEFT BURNER. Note to self... there are 4 burners on a stove, so it's best to use the REAR burners whenever possible. I felt terrible. I took her in (leaving Jax alone on the changing table... at least the poor boy was strapped in) and had a talk with her about not touching hot things on the stove. We've addressed that countless times with her just to make sure she never attempts it, but I guess every child is drawn to the mythical boiling pot at some point in their young life. It's kind of along the same lines as licking a frozen flag pole like the kid in Christmas Story. Both Emerson and Ralphie's friend more than likely have learned their lesson, bless their little hearts.

1 comment:

  1. You should call me if you need a babysitter. I have a feeling Emerson and I would be great friends. And Jax is so adorable I might steal him away from you!

    ReplyDelete