Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Catching up

Wow, it's been a few too many days since I've blogged. We've had a lot going on and a lot of potential changes coming our way, so I've been feeling a little overwhelmed by life. Each winter I always think of spring as a laid-back, lazy kind of season, then it gets here and I freak out by how busy it actually is. My one normal spring-y thing I've done so far? Planting in the front flower beds. I decided to do perennials and no annuals this year, so other than my hot pink azaleas, my beds are devoid of color right now. I'm ready for the day lilies to bloom!

Emerson is as dramatic as ever right now. Today she was sitting on the potty after her nap, and I was sitting on the potty stool in front of her, talking to her and sneaking kisses. She looks at me, narrows her eyes, and says, "Mommy, do you think maybe I could have some privacy?" Now that sounds innocent enough, but when you combine the eye narrowing with a hint of sarcastic edge in her voice and a slight tilt of her head, you might as well fast-forward 13 years. Because I was talking to Emerson the teenager.

Jax is a dancin' fool. He really gets into any kind of music by waving his pudgy little arms and doing a little squat dance. I think he might be a little more musically inclined than his sister. Of course, he is more like his Momma than his Daddy right now, so it's really no surprise (patting myself on the shoulder right now). That was for you, sweetie.

Today we had our MOPS Steering Team brunch, and I'm having a hard time grasping that we only have two meetings left. I can't believe it. When I took on the role of coordinator, I never could have dreamed how much I would learn/change/grow as as person/mom. Maybe the hardest thing I've done but also the most rewarding. I love those girls.

Another random factoid is that I'm starting a new push to cook healthier. I'm really trying to stay away from fattening ingredients, and I'm grilling all the time right now. I just bought "Light & Healthy 2010" by America's Test Kitchen and can't wait to dig into it. If you haven't ever watched ATK on PBS, you are totally missing out. One of my fave cooking shows for sure.

Random factoid #2 is the impending arrival of my new digital camera. I've been terribly unhappy with the quality of my most recent Sony Cyber-Shot, so I saved up my Fun Money (yes, I actually have a paper envelope in my desk labeled Fun Money... don't laugh... it's awesome) for a Canon PowerShot S90. It's got the picture quality of a DSLR in a point-and-shoot body. I cannot freakin' wait for this thing to get here! I'm sure you'll be forced to view many a picture when I get my hands on it.

I think that's it for now. Happy Spring to you and yours! Don't forget to stop and smell a flower or two before it gets ridiculously hot out there.

1 comment: