Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Early success...

Day 3 of potty training... Jax tinkled 5 times in the potty today!  He probably tinkled in his underwear at least that many times, but I'm thrilled that he finally 'gets it.'  Part of what helped him today was me stepping out of the bathroom to give him a little privacy.  Imagine that, a son not wanting his overbearing mother staring at him while he relieves himself.  It was so cute to stand just outside the bathroom door and hear him grunt to get his tinkle out. 

After naptime, he started losing his positive attitude just a wee bit.  I would take him to his potty chair, sit him down on it, and say, "Okay, Jaxey.  Now it's time for you to go tinkle and poo-poo."  He starting saying "nev-uh, nope, nope!" with his hand straight out, shaking his head violently back and forth until he made himself laugh.  Is there such thing as being potty-drunk? 

Now I'm just ready for the poop to go in the toilet.  I know this is gross, but I have a spoon in the laundry room sink that I use to remove the poop from the underwear before I soak them in Oxyclean before they go in the wash.  I promise you that spoon is going in the trash when this is all said and done.  It's a cheap serving spoon I had back in my apartment days... I didn't want to be tempted to put a good spoon back in the rotation, if you know what I mean.  Just kidding. 

GiGi and SueSue saved the day yesterday.  They came by with four packs of training underwear because Jax was going through all of the underwear I had borrowed from Cristin by noon. 

Jax's reward for going in the potty is a big spoonful of peanut butter (no, not the poop spoon), and Emerson asked if she could be the one who scoops the peanut butter out and gives it to him.  It cracks me up that she wants in on the action and the recognition.

I'm feeling cautiously optimistic that he'll keep it up from here, that there will be no regression and that he'll never look back.  The thought of just having one child in diapers makes me giddy! 

Oh yeah, and just so you know what I deal with on a daily basis.  At lunch today...

Jax:  "Mommy, please get off that chair."

Me: "Why?"

Jax:  "Because I said so."

No comments:

Post a Comment